Bonnke Notes on the Holy Spirit

adminpc
Site Admin

Bonnke Notes on the Holy Spirit

Post by adminpc »

Jesus said, “'Ask, and it will be given to you'” (Luke 11:9, NKJV). However, He was talking about a specifi c request: “'If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!'” (Luke 11:13).

Being filled with the Holy Spirit is not an option; it is essential for authentic Christianity. Unfortunately, over the centuries the Holy Spirit became little more than a vague, mystical figure referred to in the creed; Holy Spirit truth was replaced with grace truth.

But Christ's command to ask for the Holy Spirit must be followed if we are to live the lives He intended for us. The Sermon on the Mount and the Great Commission set goals that would be impossible to reach were it not for the Holy Spirit who dwells within us.

The apostle Paul said, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Phil. 4:13). David had said, “'By my God I can leap over a wall'” (2 Sam. 22:30), but for Paul there was absolutely nothing that could not be achieved in Christ. Jesus made the Holy Spirit an urgent requirement but assured us that “'everyone who asks receives'” (Luke 11:10).

~ ~ ~

According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit indwells every born-again believer. “If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His” (Rom. 8:9, NKJV). Jesus had said, “'He dwells with you and will be in you'” (John 14:17).

But the Holy Spirit does not take up residence in us for nothing. Jesus said that this baptism, or anointing, would empower Christians to be His witnesses (see Acts 1:. It would give them not only the boldness to share their testimonies but also the evidence-signs and wonders- to back them up.

~ ~ ~

The Holy Spirit has many operations beyond conversion. The baptism in the Spirit is an extension of His initial work in us. He overflows both body and spirit, physical and spiritual.

I recall driving alone in Africa one day and suddenly realizing that the vehicle I was in was full of God. I was overwhelmed by glory and light, lost to what I was doing. The car went on, presumably driven by angel hands.

My 176-pound body seemed fragile under the weight of the presence of God as self-consciousness turned to God-consciousness. He helped me to understand how the Spirit can impact audiences even when they are so huge they stretch out of my sight. I saw that one man is nothing, but when God is with him, he is everything.