Eze 3.14.. He went in bitterness

adminpc
Site Admin

Eze 3.14.. He went in bitterness

Post by adminpc »

Eze 3:14

"So the Spirit lifted me up and took me away, and I went in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit; but the hand of the LORD was strong upon me."

This is one of the verses that the Lord gave me when He first starting to be specific with me. For a long time, I felt like Ezekiel was wrong to go in bitterness, and that he needed an attitude adjustment. Boy... I sure had lots to learn. And now, after all these year, I understand so much more.

Let me allow Matthew Henry Commentary to explain ... He uses great words. Just to mention, the Matthew Henry Commentary is a great commentary, and it is also the one that Andrew Wommack studied for so many years. Funny though, my commentary fits on my phone, whereas, Andrew's filled up his book shelves. lol

Here is what Matthew shares:

Those whom God calls to the ministry, as he furnishes their heads for it, so he bows their hearts to it. [2.] He followed with a sad heart: The Spirit took me away, says he, and then I went, but it was in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit. He had perhaps seen what a hard task Jeremiah had at Jerusalem when he appeared as a prophet, what pains he took, what opposition he met with, how he was abused by hand and tongue, and what ill treatment he met with, and all to no purpose. "And" (thinks Ezekiel) "must I be set up for a mark like him?" The life of a captive was bad enough; but what would the life of a prophet in captivity be? Therefore he went in this fret and under this discomposure. Note, There may in some cases be a great reluctance of corruption even where there is a manifest predominance of grace. "I went, not disobedient to the heavenly vision, or shrinking from the work, as Jonah, but I went in bitterness, not at all pleased with it." When he received the divine revelation himself, it was to him sweet as honey (v. 3); he could with abundance of pleasure have spent all his days in meditating upon it; but when he is to preach it to others, who, he foresees, will be hardened and exasperated by it, and have their condemnation aggravated, then he goes in bitterness. Note, It is a great grief to faithful ministers, and makes them go on in their work with a heavy heart, when they find people untractable and hating to be reformed. he went in the heat of his spirit, because of the discouragements he foresaw he should meet with; but the hand of the Lord was strong upon him, not only to compel him to his work, but to fit him for it, to carry him through it, and animate him against the difficulties he would meet with (so we may understand it); and, when he found it so, he was better reconciled to his business and applied himself to it...